Friday, April 23, 2010

Pork Roast with Apples, Sage and Rosemary


Roast in the Slow Cooker

This recipe was actually a little magazine insert that was an ad for a slow cooker. I love my slow cooker, especially in the winter when I can make hearty soups and stews. This is the first time I attempted a recipe without a liquid, though I suppose the apples release their juice and assist in the cooking process.

Even browning off the onions I knew that this was going to be amazing. The kitchen smelled delicious. I was correct and the roast was very good. The flavor of the rosemary and the sage really came through in the meat and gave off a delicious aroma also.

4-6 Granny Smith Apples
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
4 lb boneless loin pork roast
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 red onions, quartered
1 fresh sprig sage
1 fresh sprig rosemary

Toss apples with lemon juice. Set aside.

Season roast with salt and pepper. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Brown roast om all sides and remove from skillet.

Add red onions to skillet and stir to brown slightly. Place in bottom of slow cooker.
Top with seared roast. Surround roast with apples and place sage and rosemary on top of the roast.

Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 7-8 hours. Discard rosemary and sage sprigs.


Prepared Roast

Feedback: I would make this again. My only disappointment was that all of the apples weren't able to be used and they were so mushy they would have been wonderful if you pureed them into an applesauce. However, because the onions are cooked with it you can't seperate the two. Everything but the roast had to be discarded and it felt like a waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment