Sunday, April 11, 2010

Appetizer Saturday

Last night we had family dinner and I was in charge of the appetizers. I made sausage balls, which I love but are typically in my family only for the holidays. The Cordon Bleu appetizers were found in a Taste of Home magazine about a year ago and everywhere I take them they are a hit.



Sausage Balls



1 package Jimmy Dean HOT sausage (16 oz.)
1 package sharp cheddar cheese (16 oz.)
1 1/2 - 2 Cups Self Rising Flour

Preheat oven to 375 F. Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl; stir well. Form into 1" balls. Place sausage cheese balls on ungreased baking sheet; bake 14-16 minutes or until golden brown. Remove sausage cheese balls from oven; cool 5 minutes before removing from pan. Serve with cocktail forks or toothpicks.

Tip: I always place a cooling rack onto my backing sheet before I lay the sausage balls down and bake them on the rack. It keeps the balls from sitting in the grease that leaks from the sausage while baking.

Cordon Bleu Appetizers



4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
3/4 cup diced fully cooked ham
1/2 cup minced chives, divided
18 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)

In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and mustard until smooth. Stir in the Swiss cheese, ham and 1/4 cup chives. Spread 1 tablespoon mixture over each bread slice; place on an ungreased baking sheet.
Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with remaining chives. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment