Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Summer Chicken Corn Chowder


Summer is coming back and this is one of my favorite recipes. I am a HUGE fan of cilantro and the cilantro in this dish really converts it from a warm winter comfort food to something that doesn't seem so heavy. I've also cooked it in my slow cooker but it's not necessary.

I've also made it for people who don't like cilantro - just eliminate that ingredient - but to me it is soooo much more delicious with it!

2 slices bacon, chopped
1 onion, chopped
3 tbsp. flour
1 lb Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
6 cups reduced-sodium or homemade chicken broth
4 cups shredded cooked chicken
3 cups corn kernels
1/4-1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
3 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped
1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
2 limes, cut into wedges
Freshly ground black pepper

(Please note that I did not use the limes or the avocado because I don't like either - the original recipe does call for them though).

1. In a large heavy pot over medium-high heat cook bacon until fat renders and meat starts to brown. Add onion, reduce heat to medium and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and cook, stirring, until flour smelled cooked (you should get a whiff of baked piecrust) but hasn't started to brown - about 3 minutes.

2. Add potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to keep mixture summering and cook until potatoes are barely tender, about 5 minutes. Add chicken and corn and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and stir in cream to taste. Heat through, about 2 minutes.

3. Serve, garnished with tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, pepper & 1-2 squirts of lime to taste. (Again, I only garnished with tomatoes and cilantro).

No comments:

Post a Comment