Sunday, May 2, 2010

Pasta with Spinach and Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce


1 lb package of pasta (ziti, penne or linguine)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1½ cups low-fat milk or half and half
1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese, or more to taste
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 (6-ounce) bag fresh baby spinach (about 6 cups), chopped
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.

While pasta cooks, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly with a whisk.

Gradually add the milk or half and half, stirring constantly with a whisk. Increase heat to medium-high; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer 3 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly, stirring frequently.

Remove from heat, and stir in cheese, salt, and pepper. Combine the sauce, pasta and spinach, tossing gently to coat. Toss again with with 1/4 Parmesan.

Feedback: I wasn't to sure about this because I'd never had gorgonzola cheese before - again, my attempt to try new foods and ingredients. After reading online that it was sharp like blue cheese I wasn't hesitant - I hate blue cheese. But, if I want to learn more about cooking and tastes I need to be willing to experiment. I LOVED this dish and husband had 2 servings - that should voice his opinion I suppose.

I could taste the similarity to blue cheese but it wasn't sharp and therefore I could handle it. Perhaps that mixed in parmesan cheese also helped. I would repeat this dish without doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment